Our Story

IMG_9228.heic
 
IMG_3830.JPG

1823

Our church was formed as a “mission” of the Fairfield Dutch Church in Fairfield, NJ, presently known as the Fairfield Reformed Church. It was established as the “Reformed Dutch Church of Little Falls.” 

1840

Most of the present “sanctuary box” was built, using brownstone quarried from the nearby Passaic River. It had a simple wooden steeple, painted white. Large, plain glass-pane windows gave light. There were two wood-burning stoves in the sanctuary for heat. Tie-posts stood outside to give folks a place to tie their horses. 

1881

Renovations took place—a furnace replaced the stoves, and the windows were covered with colored paper to simulate stained glass.

 

1885

The horse-and-carriage sheds replaced the tie-posts. 

1900

Both the church building and the parsonage were wired for electricity.

1907

The Consistory accepted from a generous member the gift of a pipe organ, made in Brattleboro, VT. A three-day dedication of the new organ took place in December of that year. 

1912

At the congregation meeting, a resolution was adopted to change the corporate name of the church from the “Reformed Dutch Church of Little Falls” to the “First Reformed Church of Little Falls.” 

1957

The plain glass windows in the sanctuary were replaced with the current beautiful stained glass.

IMG_4438.JPG
 
Picture1.jpg

1965

The Fellowship Hall and kitchen construction were completed. Many renovations took place all over the building, including the lower level and bathrooms. 

1973

New Jersey Governor William T. Cahill extends congratulations to the members of the First Reformed of Little Falls on the occasion of their 150th anniversary.   

1993

Our beloved Children and Worship ministry began, and an area of the upstairs lounge was dedicated to this use.

1998

The 175th anniversary of our church began.

 

Our Story Continues...

2015

We became a rostered church with Room for All, an organization that works for increased inclusion of people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer+ at all levels of church life and leadership.

2017

We switched on our 59-panel solar array, a testimony to our love of Creator God.

2023

We look forward to celebrating our bicentennial year—two centuries of worshipping and serving the Triune God in Little Falls!